Monday, September 04, 2006

"This Film Is Not Yet Rated"

I want to see this.
Here's an article at Salon.com. You may have to sit through a commercial to get a free daypass, but IMHO it's worth it for access.

For the life of me, the MPAA ratings system makes no sense. It's more than just a matter of whether five seconds of onscreen pubic hair is worse than two seconds; it's about our priorities. Sex isn't a fact of life in this country, it's an obsession. And the MPAA and Hollywood are so terrified of showing people the "S" word they've become ridiculous about it.

I realize the problem of knowing what one's kids are watching on cable or via DVD, since I've got kids of my own. However, the obsession with keeping kids from seeing S-E-X onscreen is crazy when you consider how the MPAA seems to be okay with more socially acceptable and wholesome images onscreen, namely violence.

I couldn't put it any better than George Carlin did more than thirty years ago. "I'd rather have my kids watch a film of two people making love than of two people trying to kill one another.

Anyway, just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment