Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Virginity is Overrated

Something from Salon about thirty year old virgins... (you may have to sit through a commercial for a free day pass. well wirth thirty seconds, IMHO).
The upshot of the article is that for women who've found themselves still virgins at thirty, the perks of chastity are outweighed by the stigma, ridicule, and lack of self-esteem.

Speaking for myself, I lost my own virginity at a relatively young age, but the best thing I can say about it is that I got the awkward stuff over with early. I can also honestly say that I'd rather spend time with a lady who knows what she likes and dislikes. I've outgrown awkward when it comes to sex.

In fact, that old myth about martyrs going to heaven where they're waited upon by seventy-two virgins? And having to deal with all that, "Do you like this? What next? Where do I put my hand" stuff just seems like a lot of extra work, to me. Thanks, but no thanks.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I have a friend in her 40's and still a virgin.She is terified of dating because she does not want look like a clutz the first time.I've almost offered to be her first.I'd love help her but I don't think the offer would be recieved in the spirit given.I hate to think of her going through life alone just because she's scared of sex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragedy. Seriously, I'd think someone was really missing out if he or she had never heard a Beethoven symphony or had walked through a botanical garden or had enjoyed a good glass of wine, and sex is so much more fun than any of those things!

    What's especially tragic is the fact that someone was missing out on those things because they were afraid of enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete