Friday, March 10, 2006

Big Love on HBO

I'm looking forward to this Sunday night...not just because "The Sopranos" is coming back.

"Big Love" debuts, too.

I'm cautiously curious and interested in this one. The Mormon angle is interesting, of course. And, of course, the LDS church has repeatedly disavowed polygamy for more than a hundred years. However, I've known quite a few LDS members who wouldn't be at all disappointed if the anti-polygamy policy were to simply vanish.

As for polygamy as an institution, I have no problem with it. Correction: I've got big problems with the way it's currently practiced for the most part, with tight religious restrictions and disturbing reports of child abuse and women's subservience to their husbands.

However, if a woman wants more than one husband at a time, and/or a man wants more than one wife, as long as they're all consenting adults happy with the arrangement, more power to them.

In fact, the endorsement of gay marriage naturally leads to the endorsement of multiple spouses, IMHO. If it's okay to pick a spouse of the same sex, why stop at one?

As for me, I've said it before. More than one wife, more than one mother-in-law. Thank you, no. One's plenty for me.

Love ya, Mom. Remember, I said that.

Anyway, I'd love more input both on polygamy and on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment