Sunday, March 12, 2006

More on "Big Love"

John Tierney gets on the soapbox about polygamy in the New York Times. I can't access the entire article as it's behind their "Select" barrier. (Pay for online news content? I refuse!)

Steve Gilliard's blog has an excerpt, with his own opinion. (Scroll down)

As for me, I can't deny the practice (especially in the western U.S.) is rife with abuse and subjugation of women and girls. But then, monogamous marriage as an institution can't claim to have been completely enlightened throughout history, either.

However, giving the green light to gay marriage necessarily leads one to the conclusion that an enlightened form of polygamy must likewise be allowed. If it's okay for David and Jonathan to tie the knot, if Jacob wants to marry both Leah and Rebecca, who am I to say they can't? Assuming all interested parties are consenting adults, it's none of my damn business telling them "no."

No comments:

Post a Comment