Friday, July 21, 2006

A little light reading...

Just picked up former President Jimmy Carter's book "Our Endangered Values" from the library. Every time someone (e.g. my in-laws) complain we need more morally upright men in politics, I point out that we had one, and we booted him out for Ronnie "Rambo" Reagan.

Anyway, I came across this passage on pages 68-69. Reminds me of the issues the Republican congressmen brought up (referenced in one of my previous posts.)

"Since the punishment for adultery in the Christian era and more ancient times was death, and since Christ himself strongly condemned both adultery and divorce, a constitutional amendment with more biblical authenticity might be 'Adultery and divorce are condemned, and marriage is defined as a legal and spiritual union between a man and a woman until they are parted by death.' With a clear majority of Americans condoning divorce and believing it is acceptable for gays and lesbians to engage in same-sex behavior, it may be best to leave the U.S. Constitution alone."

Amen, brother. I met the guy, by the way, at a booksigning. I'm not much of a star-gawker, but it was still a "wow" moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment